Friday, May 1, 2009

the verdict

I'll be teaching 4th grade at Berkshire (my current school) next year. I'm trying really hard to have a good attitude about it. A change might be nice for me! I did apply for a position teaching a Kindergarten class at another school. It is a SEI class which means-no English! I'm leaving it up to God to put me where I should be! I'll be very sad to leave my school. I love my principal and am pretty comfortable there since I have been there since the school opened but I think I am a Kindergarten teacher at heart and would be happier teaching little kids.
I am left in a bad position after job sharing this year as well. Our district laid off about 70 teachers and these teachers have rehire rights for 24 months before teachers that are job sharing (no matter how long they have been teaching). If the budget gets worse, more teachers could be laid off and the period could be extended. This means after teaching for 8 years, I am forced to stay part time indefinitely. I could get a job in another district but would go back to being considered a first year teacher. Any more cuts and I would lose my job in that district.
I am praying that Mike's business picks up and we will survive indefinitely on my part time income.
I've had to come to the realization that it's just a job and not my life. So, I'm going to try and keep a teeny bit of my enthusiasm for teaching and make the best of it. Meanwhile, I am thinking of new career paths to take . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jocelyn-
I understand what you're going through. I was teaching part-time this year, too, but not in a job share, just a part day in junior high. I was hoping to get my full-time position back, but am still waiting to hear what's going to happen. I still don't know if I'll have my job back or not. The district is finishing up the elementary schools first, then moving to the finalization of the junior highs. I wished I wouldn't have to go back at all, but I'm not sure that's going to be possible for us, either. I'm glad you have a job at your current school. With class sizes going to 28 at all levels, maybe it's a blessing not to have 28 kindergarteners! I don't know how you guys do it! Thing will work out. I'm thinking about nursing school. Maybe I need a change!

Good luck to you-
Jill

Calgary said...

Joce,
I am sorry that you will not be able to keep your current job. I know how much you love it. Keep up the positive attitude. Who knows what the future will bring. Fourth grade may be a real eye opener to other possibilities.

Janelle said...

What a bummer! But, I love your attitude Jocelyn. The Lord knows the path He has for you.

So, I guess I need to start getting rid of all my second grade files. Hey, maybe you, Andrea, and I could start a business (part-time) doing crafts for full-time mommies :)! Looking forward to seeing ya Tuesday.

Holly said...

I had no idea that PBVUSD laid off so many teachers. Wow. This coming group of 4th graders is my last class of 1st graders, before I moved to 3rd. As I recall, they were sweet. I pray that you maintain your positive outlook and thrive in whatever you do!

Andrea said...

No way girl. I didn't know the verdict, glad you posted it. There has to be some relief in finally knowing what's going on, since it's been so up in the air. You have a great outlook and I admire the fact that you are trusting God with your future and your decisions, easier said than done- but you REALLY are doing that. Loves, A